Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Memories Stored in a File

So the other day I got this great idea, on the last days of the year I will transfer all of my pictures to shutterfly.  This will protect my pictures in case of a fire, computer fritz, or whatnot.  So why bring this up today?  Obviously, cause I am downloading pictures.  I wish I could say just this years but I have gotten a little behind (2008 currently half way done)

While I am transferring files (current run will take about 27 minutes) it got me thinking about the olden days, when you would sit on the floor with a shoe box flipping through the memories.  Now as I go through mega and terabits of pictures I forgot I had I wonder, will we eventually stop printing pictures?  I don't think so but really; e-mail has replaced letters, texts replaced phone calls, Facebook has replaced face to face story telling, and blogs replace journals (or if I was a girl, diaries).  Will our kids or our grandkids know a world where camera's are still separate from their phones?  I hope so but the only people who I can think of that print pictures are parents, and only of the 1st born, can you think of anyone else who prints pictures?  I will admit that we (wife and I) are HORRIBLE at taking pictures. Worse at showing them and horrendous at printing them...in the last 4 years we have printed 4 pictures a year and those were shipped to someone else for a calendar that is made for my Grandma.

Here's to me getting better in the future.  This year was the first year (in 15 of being together) that we sent out a Christmas Card and that was using photos from this year. I feel its a good step forward but then again maybe someday we'll be able to electronically transfer memories to a file without taking pictures.  But till then, we'll have to keep sharing them with stories that start with "So the other day..."

No comments:

Post a Comment