Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dare to Care

So the other day my family and I sat down to watch a movie. I had traveled to my local Redbox and picked up Courageous, which is brought to you by the same people as Fireproof and Facing the Giants. (By the way, if you haven't seen any off these and you want to see a movie with characters trying to be true authentic Christians, you now have a whole weekend of movies to watch. These movies are all written by the same guys (brothers, in life and Christ) and it is released through their church. I'm off track at this point so I will return from my bunny trail.) Seeing as I have seen all the movies, I knew I was in for a God glorifying, tears running, nose sniffling 2 hours of enjoyment. BUT it’s not the 2 hours that makes the difference; it's what happens after the credits roll...

So, why am I telling you this…I want to show you what can happen when you realize that you may have a bowl on your head (Matthew 5:14-16). When you realize that you are in his presence but not participating in it.  I have been able to go months and months with reading His word and praying but it was during the movie I realized that I have recently stopped and have been absent in the conversations with God...this left me with a couple of questions for myself to answer...

Am I being the father that the kids would like, should have, need? Am I letting them see through actions that they are Loved by me, and God? Am I being a good example to my kids everyone of how their Heavenly Father loves them?

I took inventory of my life since then, and here is what I have (re-)learned in the last couple of days.

  1. When you pray, you are rewarded with answered prayers.  I have been praying the last couple of days before work.  We have all been under a lot of stress so I have been praying for peace, breaks, calm clients and a joyful environment.  I think it's been working, nothings gonna be perfect but it's better than it was.
  2. After watching the movie I asked God to remind me to stay focused on my family.  Help them to be reminded of the answers to the questions above.  Asked that he remind me of what I am to do and how I can do it.  He answered, they way He does best, through giving me a song.  This is now on my ipod like so many other songs God has used to remind me of my role, His love, or simply to slow down.  I can take stock in His reminders by simply hitting "shuffle".
  3. Lunch with a friend can be so amazing when there is no itinerary.  I got the change (once a month) to hang with a newer friend this week for lunch and it truly was amazing.  I again started my day with prayer and remembered the lunch and asked God to "help make our time together good.  Help our friendship to grow" were my words.  Thank you God for helping that happen.
  4. You don't need to meet someone to be a role model.  I had clients that taught me that.  They were so calm and patient.  So loving and kind.  He called her his queen, and they finished each other's sentences on the phone. Well when I was talking to some support people, in an angry tone, about these client's file and how it's not fair that this loan cannot get done because of things out of the client's control, I was reminded of their patience and God asked me "is this how they would respond?  They are a light, are you acting how my light should act?"  I then paused, and apologized to the support people for raising my voice and that they were doing their job and thanked them for that.  I then thanked my clients for being the example they are.  I hope pray that I can be as bright of a light as they were for me this week.  Thanks to them I have a new verse to memorize (Col 3:17)
Be present in the conversation that God wants to have with you...Simply put, he's always willing to talk with you, Call your Father, He'd like to hear from you, and He will have the right answer.  I didn't say the easy one or the one you want, but banging your head against a wall hurts too...why not try His way this time.

So needless to say, I will continue trying to show my family the right way to live. Being an example of God's love, helping my daughter see the way that a husband should love her, and teaching my son the ways to honor his wife.  Which in turn, is honoring to my wife.  That way, I know that I have raised them up in the ways of the Lord instead of my worrying about my actions, the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment