Monday, February 27, 2012

My Bucket list- more than a pail of empty dreams

So the other day I saw this movie called The Bucket List.  I enjoyed the comedic banter back and forth between the main characters and for a comedy it had quick a positive message.  But it got me thinking..."Should I have a bucket list?" I mean I'm not that old but the idea of making a list of things I need to complete before I die seem a little morbid but yet satisfying.  Writing down a goal also gives it credence and as we will soon find out, the ability for others to help and motivate you to accomplish them too.

So why am I telling you this?  I am on the verge of crossing the first thing off my list, that's why.  I was having a man-date with a buddy of mine and we were chatting about things, I agreed that it would be cool to do it and that it was already on my Bucket list.  He was integued and asked to see what else was on it.  As he looked through the list his eyes lit up and asked if he could help me cross something off the list.  I said, "of course".  I mean it's a list of things to do before I'm dead and since I'm still alive now seems like a good time to start.  So in a couple of weeks we will be going to get a straight edge shave at this place he knows that does it up right.  I'm pretty excited 1- to hang out with my buddy in a man's man type setting and 2- start crossing things off the list.

Like I said the act of posting a goal increases its chances of it being accomplished by almost 50% so I have decided to post the whole list and as I accomplish things I will come back and cross them off.  I don't see these as impossible (Matthew 19:26) just something worth accomplishing

David's Bucket List:
Play golf at TPC-Sawgrass
Play golf at Pebble Beach
Skydive
Bungee jump
See Duke play UNC basketball- Either location for now
Watch Vikes play at Lambeau
See soccer game in England
See soccer game in Ireland
Go to a Red River Classic game OK vs Texas
Attend comic-con
Attend comic con in costume
Get a straight edge shave
Play golf at the old course (St. Andrews)
Go down a hill in bubble
Richard Petty Racing
NYE at times square
Attend the Super Bowl



I think this is a pretty good list.  Some things like Skydiving and Bungee-Jumping have been assigned to my daughter for when she turns 18 (we would be doing these together) but could be difficult to accomplish (6'6" 280lbs is a lot of everything for a tandem jump) unless I can make some major life changes. I have left some space as to add things to the list from time to time as well as cross off items that I manage to complete.  But its not a race, I plan to live a long time and if I can accomplish some now, then I can share that experience with you, the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment