Friday, February 10, 2012

It's the most horrible time, of the year! (you know the tune)

The other day my dad came to me and said, "We just got a family membership to the local golf course, you can play unlimited rounds"  The course was our city's executive nine course.  "Executive" courses are typically a 9 hole course where it's not full size but it progressively gets harder, I think this one is a par 27.  I was super excited and so I decided I needed to learn how to play.  I used mismatched clubs and garage sale drivers until about 7 years ago when I had borrowed my dad's clubs for a work tournament.  I called him to return his clubs and he informed me that I didn't have his clubs.  After I waived the thought of early Alzheimer's from my mind, I humored his request to swing by to let him prove that I was wrong.
Foot Joy rain jacket
I arrived at his house, and sure enough, he had gone out and bought a new set and bag, and informed me that the ones that I was in possession of must be mine.  Over the years I have continued to play, less at first, but have really picked up the # of rounds I play each year, last year I even joined a league.  I have never taken lessons but after upgrading my clubs about 4 years ago, I'm starting to feel like I know how to hit them and which club goes with each distance.  I don't think I could hit 5 balls close to each other on purpose but if someone told me I could never golf again...well, let's not talk about it

Arrived Wednesday
So why am I telling you this, well, simply, I WANT TO PLAY GOLF!  I desire to swing my clubs and walk the fairways, hear the flags snap, plopping of balls in water and the sounds of "fore" coming from my mouth.  To be honest, I love that you can step out on a course and see God's beauty.  The ability to see the sun rise on a dew covered green, or a deer cross a fairway in silence as you stand on the tee box. (Song of Solomon 2:11-13)   It truly is the best way for me to connect to the peace that God offers.
Free? Yes please
I know that many have loved the mild winter that we are having, and I admit that it has been nice to not have to shovel 200 ft of snow from my long driveway or worry about someone sliding into me on the road.  The issue is that I have been able to see grass for most of this winter but I haven't been able create a huge divots.  Then there are the e-mails and Facebook posts of courses opening, always when I have mountains of work to do, and then temperatures reach a balmy 40 degrees in January in Minnesota, just to taunt me..
Thanks baby!
So I have done what any well minded golfer would do, fill the void and frustration of this winter with golf purchases.  It started when my bride blessed me with a new golf suitcase for Christmas.  I have since filled it with a new jacket won off Ebay that I have wanted for 2 years(half price of retail).  Followed by new golf shoes that I have been drooling over for about 6 months.  This after managing to get my hands on a new set just 3 months ago from a free gift card.
They haven't even seen a blade of grass yet  So next season starts with; 2 new pairs of shoes, a new jacket and a new suitcase...
WOW but wait...there's more.  I am going to pick up my clubs from getting re-gripped today too, I had won a gift card at work so the final bill was $5.85!

So I think I can now get by the next 6-8 weeks of winter we are scheduled to have, as said by Punxsutawney Phil, the other day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment